Sponsored Links




Nov 26, 2014

How To Make Your Characters in Your Story Open-Source

For the past 9 years; I've been writing books,--before I had my new computer and going paperless. I've been writing books and creating my own characters in my story. But I decided to make my characters in my book, movie, or any other form of my creation open-source because, most of my books what I've write are also open-source.

I'll show you how to make your characters in your book open-source. But you have to be extra careful when doing this trick! One wrong move may lead you to serious problems.

Example Scenario

The following scenario what I'm explaining is from my imagination. I'm going to rely on my own characters what I've created from scratch earlier.

Example

Annie writes a book that is fictional. She creates her own characters in her ebook. And she license them as open-source. Well, she does NOT trademark her characters. She writes a custom license in her character booklet, or website,--so her audience can easily know her work is open-source. She likes the open-source lifestyle because, she imagines she is free of unwanted legal measures that are defective.

She publishes her book via a self-publishing platform. She is always careful when licensing her ebook. She is a free flying fairy all right, but she always takes any problems with these trolls who promote misuse of interlectual rights. Annie has saved the public domain content from these trolls once. These trolls has been involved in money laundering, and other schemes.

She always studies her data, and she has more viewers than any other author around the globe. Her content can be reused without a worry. She was proud because, she's both an activist, and an author.

She kept writing new books; and going further with making her content open-source. But she isn't going to trademark even 1 character at all. She rather skip the trademark office because she don't want her characters to be end up defective by design.! She learned a lesson from other creators who are lobbying, poaching public domain content, and causing trouble to our freely available content that is safe to reuse.

Since Annie is a smart fairy; she can be so open-source; even she can be set to perform in some movies,--created by many open-source content activists who are trying to keep their open-source content safe to reuse. Unlike most creators; she is literally burning up the road with her open-source content. That fairy is literally too hard to stop.

The more as she publishes open-source content; the better her work.

All you need is the following:

  • Your imagination
  • Your desired type of content what you're currently creating, and/or starting to create from scratch
  • An open-source statement
  • Creative Commons license

Let's start it up!

Before you begin; be sure to varify if your book has your own characters what you've just created,--especially characters in other books that are in the public domain. If you are just creating something unique in your imagination; continue your project.

Here are the considerations you should take,--if your characters what you are creating are going to be open-source:

  • Open-source content are built to be reused in any other way. For example; TV shows that are CC-licensed via CC-BYSA 4.0 International., they can be reused by anyone around the world.
  • Say if you licensed your characters as open-source. You allow others to reuse your characters from your book or movie,--or TV show. Cause open-source licenses are irrevocable; it can't be undone.
  • Applying trademark, or any other protective measures is not recommended for your characters in your open-source book, movie, etc.

If you taken all of these considerations; follow these steps:

  1. Review your story, movie, or TV show. Make sure your CC license is visible. I've strongly recommended to choose CC-BYSA 4.0 International for your content.
  2. Single out or select all of your characters in your content and note them down, and set open-source licenses. Set them up carefully!
  3. Republish your content just incase. Wait for any reuse results to come. It may take about a couple of days or so.
  4. If you are satisfied, your characters are open-source, that means you are allowing others to reuse your characters in your book, or movie without a worry!

If you are writing a book; follow the instructions,--after you applied a Creative Commons license:

  1. At the copyright page of your book; place the statement,--telling readers your characters are open-source below the CC license statement, press enter and aligh the cursor at the center first.
  2. Copy the following string of text below.
    All characters in this book are open-source! So you can reuse them if you wish. Please give credit to [Author Goes Here] after reusing.
  3. Replace [Author Goes Here] with your name.
  4. Publish your new work, and/or republish your existing work.

A rise of innovation; your characters in your story will be stable for a lifetime! As other creators give credit to you, you'll count your fans who liked your creation. It may take some time,--depending on your content what you've just created.

Tips

It's kind of like reusing other open-source software, films, books, and other media. You don't need to be overloaded with E-mail/postal mail,--containing people asking you for permission to reuse your characters in your book, or movie. That can remove re-licensing fees that may become scams, and other unwanted stuff that is defective by design.

It's kind of like unlocking and setting your farm animals free to play in the field as you plant crops.

The more as you go open-source; the better your creation. You'll get some other creators doing all sorts of things, such as a parity.

My characters in my book are open-source all right, but what's the catch?

The catch is; once your characters in your book are open-source, this type of license what you've applied isn't irrevocable! License laundering schemes may lead you to serious trouble, or worse. You should always take extreme caution when making your characters open-source, or freely reusable.

You should always avoid any of these schemes that are built to spoof anyone online, or offline.

Warnings

What I've mentioned earlier; NEVER trademark your characters in your story! Otherwise; everybody will be spoofed, and face any of the legal issues. Although; trademark trolls often do this to some characters in some books in the public domain. If your characters are trademarked; they're defective by design.

Be careful not to use someone else's characters for your story. However; people who publish parodies criticized them. If you are publishing your story, and monetizing your content, you should always create your characters from scratch.

Thoughts of making my characters in my story open-source

Having my characters in my book open-source is kind of like leaving church, and choose to believe in something different. Or is kind of like riding a large white rabbit,--instead of walking her with a leash.

If I ridden a rabbit in my imagination; or real world; you had full control when licensing your characters in your book as open-source. I can go almost any direction. You don't need a long leash and walk behind your large rabbit that is almost as a size of a horse.

When something is proprietary; it's subject to break. Transitioning from proprietary to open-source is easy, and it's almost fun.

Let's pretent if: my characters in my book are actually open-source, and yours are standard.

If my characters are open-source, they can be reused anywhere. Imagine is you built your own spring-rider for everybody of all ages. And I built my own. I chosen a fairy that will be my featured character for the ride for everyone,--not just for kids! But you had developed your character that is a frog with your custom features, but it's proprietary, and you reserved all rights to your character. Each of us are just bragging about our creation, but one of your customers just came. But my customers are in different sizes.

You not sure why your toy isn't geting any customers. Well, you know the answer. And here's why:

  • Your character might be trademarked.
  • Your character has been tied to your restrictions,--due to your rights. But it's your decision to make your character open-source or not.

Well, it's okay to choose, but the choice is yours. You can reserve rights to your characters,--if you want to.

I prefer to make my characters open-source. I prefer to go open-source because, that's very important for safety for my customers who are so interested with my project that is totally open-source.

Why I don't want to trademark my characters in my books, or movies is the following:

  • I'm not into trademarking my creation
  • Owning a trademark for my creation is not my cup of tea
  • Registering for a trademark is expensive, and uncomfortable

And speaking about trademarking my characters, but I don't want to do it. That can lead my work to be end up defective by design. Treating my customers like thieves is not for me. If I trademarked my characters, and my copyright to my books expires,--and the lobbyist poached my content; that can be a total disaster. However, I'm still developing characters for my stories, and making them open-source.

Going open-source is a new normal for me, and I'm used to making my content open-source, is your characters in your story open-source? Let me know by leaving a comment on this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment